Wednesday, January 16, 2013

QRP Ops Battery Power... FYI


 
My trusty dusty 9 year old FT-817 operating from the
Glacier feed creek bed of Kautz Creek in Mt.
Rainier Nat. Park.  Note the milk carton speaker
reflector- the sides fold in for storage.  A 3S 2600
ma/hr LiPo battery props the front of the radio up.
I now use an Elecraft KX3 for my QRP operations to the field.  Previous to owning my KX3 I was a Yaesu FT-817 user for 9 years.  I sometimes take my old Heathkit HW-9 QRP transceiver to the field  for the thrill of making Qs with 1984 technology.

Previous to my current QRP Ops power sources... I used Sealed Lead Acid batteries of different sizes.  I used 1.2 a/h for my KX1 and a 7 a/h burglar alarm panel battery for my 817. This battery weighed in at just under seven pounds.  Now I use Lithium Polymer hobby batteries for just as many watts at ~20% of the weight.  



Turnigy 4S / 4000 ma/hr LiPo battery.
I purchased this at hobbyking.com, USA store.
On extended backpacking outings of up to 4 nights in the woods I will take my 4000 ma/hr 4S LiPo battery which weighs in at 14 oz.  The maximum charged battery voltage is 16.7 volts which is a bit high for the FT-817 or the KX3.  I tried a couple of three amp diodes in series to drop the voltage down not to exceed the 817's 16 volt max input voltage.  This worked well but I could feel the heat from the 1.4 volts dropped across the diodes which means that I was wasting Watts.  Web surfing for an adjustable efficient voltage lowering solution took me to http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/de-swadj3 to purchase their swadj3 voltage regulator which is made to replace a LM-317 linear (heat wasting) regulator to drop the 817's voltage to 11 volts- which is considered to be the optimum operating voltage for the little radio to produce 5 watts output.  Using a piece of PCB, heat shrink tubing, and Manhattan construction I built a Regulator Module with Power Pole input/output connections and a LED to remind me to shut it off with I QRT.

FT-817 users might find  http://www.ka7oei.com/ft817_pwr_opt.html interesting regarding optimum input voltages for optimum power output. 

I tested the Dimension Engineering swadj3 efficiency in a quasi-lab set up.  Watts in vs Watts out calculated to ~93% efficiency.  And I can not detect any regulator noise  in the HF bands that I operate on.

While out on single day portable QRP ops... I use a 3S LiPo 2600 ma/h battery which weighs about 7 oz.  This battery charges up at 12.4 volts and I've depleted it down to 11.4 volts on a single outing.  This battery works well with the FT-817 at full 5 watts output... as well with the KX-3 at reduced power of 5 watts.

I carefully charge my LiPo batteries with a Turnigy Accucel 6 amp smart charger.  This device will charge SLA, NiCad, LiPo, LiFe batteries.  It gets its power from an external 13.8 V supply.  A large wall wart will work with this charger if the charge current is programmed to be low. 
I purchased my batteries and charger at www.hobbyking.com.  I've read that some folks have issues with hobbykings batteries or their service.  I am perfectly satisfied with them so far.

View more Photos of my QRP field ops battery equipment HERE:  www.flickr.com/photos/kr7w-sota/sets/72157632536012941/show/   The photo captions give more info.  599kr7w@gmail.com

I hope this info is useful to someone.  Regards...

30
73
Rich Kr7w





6 comments:

  1. Great stuff, Rich! I'm just getting started with an FT-817nd and was wondering about the LiPos from my RC planes. Your post helped answer a lot of questions for me. Looks like mt 3S 3200mAh batteries should work just fine. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice setup! Here is my powercabling and using 2x 5000mAh 4S lipos on mine.

    http://oh2fxd.wordpress.com/2013/02/07/power-me-up-mr-scotty-ft-817nd-power-cabling/

    73 de OH2FXD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post. I am new to the FT-817 having just acquired one, so read this will interest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been reclaiming used laptop lithium batteries for a couple of years. In most cases the charger circuit is defective and the batteries
    Work fine. I reconfigure them to the voltage,amperage I need add a resetable fuse and I have a new battery pack.

    I charge them with a 1 amp wall wart and monitor the voltage until I reach 4v per cell. If your not comfortable charging this way
    Battery retailers sell changing boards for a few $

    These pack a lot of punch but common sense and a little care and you can have all the batteries
    You need for free


    I

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have been reclaiming used laptop lithium batteries for a couple of years. In most cases the charger circuit is defective and the batteries
    Work fine. I reconfigure them to the voltage,amperage I need add a resetable fuse and I have a new battery pack.

    I charge them with a 1 amp wall wart and monitor the voltage until I reach 4v per cell. If your not comfortable charging this way
    Battery retailers sell changing boards for a few $

    These pack a lot of punch but common sense and a little care and you can have all the batteries
    You need for free


    I

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the great info. Quick question for you - on average, how many hours of operating time are you getting out of that 4aH battery with the KX3? I'm about to attempt my first island activation and I'll be using a KX3. Due to my lack of experience operating mobile, I'm having a hard time estimating how much battery capacity I'll need to operate at 5W with the KX3 for 2-3 hours.

    Thanks,
    Curt, W4LKR

    ReplyDelete